Monday, June 20, 2011

Crepes? What? More french food?!

So as I mentioned last week I am currently working on planning things for my wedding. You know which has a small French theme? I’ve read tons of articles. Some say to have a crepe station for the guests.  So I thought you know what I want to try crepes I think I love them and I have not had them in years.  Therefore that is this week’s blog. Crepes, the French pancake that everyone told me was difficult to make, nay nay nay. This was simple! So let’s get started.
What you need:
1 small crepe pan or about a 7 -10 round pan to cook in
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Butter, for coating the pan
1/4 tsp of salt for savory crepes
OR
2 1/2 tsp of sugar for sweet
Whatever you want to fill it with
I did sweet crepes. So let’s get started. Alton Brown, the food god did this recipe. He states to put it all in a blender. I did not…well my blender is downstairs in a box thanks to the fact that I had to move home because school was done…so I just mixed it in a bowl then placed it in a large glass pitcher with a spout. Okay so now that we have done that take some butter and place it in the pan to let it melt and coat the pan.  More butter you ask? Yes! Its French there should be massive amounts of le burre!  (Butter) Okay so now comes the hard part that I’ve been dreading. Place about 1/4c of the mixture in the middle of your pan and swirl you pan in a circle causing the batter to spread out thinly over the pan. I do not really have too many photos of this due to lack of a helpful test subject.  Now taking applications for test subjects by the way. Let it cook for one minute flip and let cook 10 seconds. Now it’s done. No you don’t want it browned like a pancake. If you use a spatula it may break so used something like a cake frosting knife. That’s what I did.

So let’s discuss fillings. Oh there is so much to choose from. Just Google the possibilities, I did a traditional thing. Nutella and bananas. If I cook bananas I can eat them so I did so in a small pan, I added photos just to make you wish you had been here when I made crepes. So now, fill your crepes with your desired filling, roll and enjoy.

C'est parfait! That means its perfect…only I remembered one thing after I made these.  I don’t like crepes…oops…oh well C'est la vie. Overall good, will I make them again? No. I just really don’t care for them. Until next time and just as a reminder I am still accepting recipes and ideas. Email me, facebook me, or even find me on twitter, JLThacker06@gmail.com. Happy eating people! 















Post a Comment