Monday, July 4, 2011

How to make Homemade Oreo's


This week my blog is late. This is due to the fact that my internet is crappy. Yay technology and we still can’t get high speed internet out in the “country” yeah right. Well I don’t know about you but I love Oreo’s…love them. So this week we are talking about homemade Oreo’s. This is a sweeter cookie than I am used to for Oreo’s so it reminded me of the Oreo Cakester.  Still a good cookie but beware the sweetness. If you are worried it will be too sweet do not despair I shall give you ideas later. Okay so let’s get started shall we?

Things you’re going to need
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar we’ll talk about this later
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg
For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Okay so first pre-heat that oven to 375. Mix all the stuff for the cookie in your mixer. Now this is the part where I tell you I only used 1 c. It was still too sweet, when I make these again I will be using 1/2 c. to 3/4 c of sugar. Your dough should be fairly thick now start placing some rounded spoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Here comes the fun part. Oreo’s have a design on them right? Well you can do so many things. I used cookie presses. You could use the bottom of a glass or even a cookie cutter. Let your imagination run wild. Bake them in the oven for 9 minutes let them cool then fill! Oh yeah if you notice I have a little trick for filling the bag. Look at the pictures below. In addition to making these cookies I had a helper. My niece, she is the first one to always want to help. Of course after we’re cooking this means she also wants to help eat. So my taste test subjects greatly enjoyed their cookies. But I was informed that they are not real Oreo’s…thanks… As always I am accepting ideas for the blog! Facebook, twitter, or email me! JLThacker06@gmail.com and happy eating!




















Post a Comment