Monday, July 11, 2011

How to make shortbread lemon cookies

I hope this new post finds everyone well…I would like to hear some feedback from someone some day, I am beginning to become discouraged. Well this week I made Shortbread Lemon Cookies, the recipe came from my mother’s Kitchen Aid mixer book of recipes. I am also making these for my bridal shower, which I am looking forward to. Now as most of you know I made Madeline’s a couple weeks ago, I decided I should make these in the same pan, why not, I bought the pans might as well use them… yeah, lots of time and I did not like the results so the rest of them have been made into a normal cookie so there but the photo’s are of the Madeline’s.  I also had to quadruple my recipe to make enough for 50 plus people, so you will not need nearly as much as is shown in the pictures.
Let’s get started shall we?
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, divided
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Grated peel of 1 lemon (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
Okay now first of all let me tell you about lemons. If you place it in the microwave for about 15 – 30 seconds it will juice easier, so you should. Also lemons need to be rolled around to get the juices flowing. Notice how this recipe calls for lemon zest, always zest first juice later, it’s harder to grate and already squeezed lemon. Now let’s move on. Preheat oven to 300 right now.
Beat 3/4 c. of powdered sugar and the butter together until nice and creamy, and then add all the lemon to it, zest and juice, no seeds please. Might I add, just add all the juice of the lemon in it; maybe a little more out of a bottle if you want, they need all the lemon they can get. Therefore, if you have squeezed the juice and you have a bottle in the fridge, add 1 tbsp. of that to the cookie dough. Now add the flour and salt to the mixture in thirds. Mix until combined.
Spoon some out onto cookie sheets and cook for 20 – 25 min smaller cookies are better. They are not brown cookies but just done. Notice mine are brown…It took me forever to get them to cook in that dumb mold normally they are just brown on the bottom. But alas the cookies are hot still so sprinkle the rest of the powdered sugar over the tops and serve with coffee, tea, or alone…hot or cold.
As most of you know this blog started out as a way for me to express myself, an assignment from my professor, I have been laughed at for writing this thing…I would like some sort of feedback…should I keep writing? Is this helping anyone? As always I am accepting ideas for the blog should I continue writing it. Facebook, twitter, or email me! JLThacker06@gmail.com and happy eating!

 











Post a Comment