Monday, August 15, 2011

How to make Butterbeer Cupcakes my HP tribute!


Okay so I just finished reading the final Harry Potter book…took me a while but it has been totally worth it. Yes I know it came out forever ago but due to the matter in which I read I knew if I bought it that I would ignore all other life forms until it was finished…this means I would have skipped all of my classes at school…also I am rather cheap so I didn’t want to shell out for the book just yet. However, now that I have done so I have decided to make these cupcakes to tribute my love for the books which sadly are done being written. Thank you JK Rowling for being amazing and writing your wizard novel. So what are we making today? Butterbeer Cupcakes... yes yum. So let’s get started shall we?
Things you will need:
For the cupcakes: 2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cream soda
For the ganache: 1 package butterscotch chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
For the buttercream frosting: 1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup butterscotch ganache
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 16-oz. package powdered sugar
Okay so basically this is really simple, start by preheating the oven to 350 then mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and setting it aside. Now take your butter place it in a large bowl and beat it with your mixer. Now when it is fluffy looking add the sugars to it. Now add vanilla and eggs one at a time, let them all incorporate before you add another. Now that we have done that add half of the dry mixture to the wet…now add half of the cream soda…now the other half of the dry, you get the idea!  Now place 3/4 of the mixture in a cupcake pan…this will make 12 cupcakes! Now place in that lovely preheated oven and bake for 17 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Once they are in the oven it is time to make the ganache. Because it needs to cool it will be helpful to make it now. So over a double boiler melt the chips and add 1/2 c. of heavy cream, now if you ever read a recipe for ganache it will tell you 1 c of cream. Well it’s always too thin for me so I use less and it works better. Now melt mix and let cool.
When we are done we are now going to make the frosting. Butter in the mixer again and add 1/2 c of the ganache to it. This is to make it yummy! Then add the vanilla and mix and mix and mix…well until creamy. Now add 2 c. of powdered sugar or the 16 oz. I ended up adding 2  1/2 c. to it to make it thicker. So now that it’s done and you’ve removed your cupcakes and they are nice and cool feel free to pour some ganache in the middle of them, I made a small knife cut and placed it on top. Now pipe or frost the top and decorate with left over ganache on top. This makes for a very lovely looking finished product which I am now delouring. Yes I am my own test subject today, since I have no HP fans nearby I will have to enjoy these all to myself…darn!
As always I am accepting ideas for the blog! Facebook, twitter, or email me! JLThacker06@gmail.com and happy eating!






























Post a Comment