Monday, September 26, 2011

How to make meatloaf

Well I know I missed the last two uploads for my blog but I was busy getting married and all, but alas do no fear, I am back. I know you were worried…shhh it’s okay, I’m back! So let’s get started with a nice warm meal since the weather is getting cooler. How about meatloaf? I love meatloaf it’s my mom’s recipe that just makes me smile. It is quite amazing. So here it is:
Meatloaf
1-1/2  pounds lean ground beef or turkey (to 2lb.) sometimes we do half beef half sausage
3/4  cup oatmeal quick or old fashioned, uncooked
3/4  cup finely chopped onion
1/2 to 1 green pepper finely chopped
1/2  cup tomato sauce I use one 8 oz can cause it’s easier than using half
1  egg, lightly beaten
1/4  teaspoon black pepper
Topping – pour over top of meatloaves before baking (if need more sauce add ketchup and mustard to taste)
½ cup tomato sauce again used one can….
¼ c. brown sugar
Big squeeze of mustard
Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape meatloaf mixture using two loaf pans.  (may bake in the loaf pans or remove and place on broiler pan or in large cake pan.
Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until meatloaf is to medium doneness (160°F for beef, 170°F for turkey), until not pink in center and juices show no pink color. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing THIS IS A MUST OR ELSE IT WILL CRUMBLE!!!
Note:  May decrease temperature to 3250F and cook for approximately 1.5 hours or until done this is nice if you’re baking other things.
Okay so now that we waited this long did you wait the five minutes to cut? Yes, great. So slice it up and serve it with your favorite sides of choice, this heats up well and freezes well, we’ve been known to place it in muffin pans and bake then freeze. Also this does make a pretty good topping to a sandwich…mmmm meatloaf tasty! Okay so the wedding went fantastically without a hitch! Tune in next week! Until next time and just as a reminder I am still accepting recipes and ideas. Email me, facebook me, or even find me on twitter, JLThacker06@gmail.com. Happy eating people!











Post a Comment