Wednesday, December 7, 2011

How to make a 1 - 8 cookie dough

A week or so ago I received my grandmother’s recipe for her “epic cookies” they are an 8 in one recipe but the recipe being old was hard to read. Basically this recipe is one single dough and you can make several different types of cookies, eight actually, now I will not give you all of them because well I do not have them all but I will give you our favorites. I know only six, shame so it's not actually eight so whatever. I am also making some of these for my cousin whom is overseas protecting our country so I hope him and his military friends enjoy these cookies! So here we go:
Basic dough:
Preheat oven to 375 – these all bake at 375
2 (1 c) Sticks of butter
1 1/2 c sifted confectioner / powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c flour – sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 /4 tsp salt
Make sure your butter is at room temp. HALF of this dough will make one of these so the whole thing makes two of the below alterations. So first cream the butter with the powdered sugar add the egg and vanilla then mix. In another bowl sift the flour, soda, tartar, and salt together then mix it into the dough.
Alterations:
Snowballs / Russian tea cakes / Mexican wedding cookies:
Roll basic dough into balls and then bake for 8 – 10 minutes, the moment they come out of the oven place them in a large bowl with lots of powdered sugar roll then allow to cool. Once they are fully cooled roll in another bowl of powdered sugar – make sure you use two different bowls because the hot snowballs will make the powdered sugar clump so keep them separate. Now you can also add any type of nuts to these I like pecans, but walnuts, pistachios, and macadamias are all fantastic.
“Pinwheels”:
Take half of the dough and make it any color you want, take the other half and leave white. Then chill for a while, once chilled roll out each dough piece until it’s about 1/8 in thick, then once that is done place one on top of another, take your rolling pin and roll them slightly together – we are basically pressing the dough together here. Then roll it like a jelly roll, from one end to another, tightly now! Chill again – preferably overnight and the next day, slice and bake for about 8 minutes. Slice thin now, you don’t want a huge thick cookie. Now you can also make one half of the dough chocolate by melting 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate and allowing it to cool. You may experiment with this and do it anyway you want you could put mint extract in the dough and make it mint. You can also make two different colors with white in between by doing color  layer one, white layer, color layer two, and a final white layer. Roll and chill the same way!
Icebox cookies:
Roll the dough into a log and chill. The next morning slice and bake – you can “press” images into the dough with a cookie press if you have them. You can also now sprinkle sugar on top too. Bake 8 minutes or so
Cut out cookies:
Chill dough roll out and cut out with cookie cutters bake for about 8 minutes depending on cookie size. Cool and decorate anyway you like.
Thumbprints:
Roll dough into balls and then press your thumb into the center. Bake 8 minutes and then cool and add jam to the well. Or you can press a chocolate kiss into the center before you cook them. You can roll these in nuts if you want but it is not necessary.
Candy canes:
Add 2 tsp of mint to the basic dough make half of the dough red and leave the other half white. Roll out individual strips of each color roll them into a braid type of roll and cut and shape like candy canes. Bake for about 8 – 10 minutes
Now these are the only ones my family ever used so they are the only ones I could really read so I have no clue what else there was on that recipe thing.  Now the pinwheels and candy canes are practically the same so I do not count them as different but I guess they are. So one day I will find another recipe that does this and share it with you all but for now and for your holiday baking try this! I hope this helps you all, because the dough is REALLY easy! I don’t have photos of the steps yet because I forgot to take them, yeah I know I need a camera and a test subject to take them, however, I do have photos of the final products that I made well one of them the pinwheels, but enjoy and happy baking! Send me recipes and ideas please!







These are red white and green colors



Post a Comment