Wednesday, December 28, 2011

How to make 2 am chili

Couple of weeks ago I went south to visit my friends, see I graduated in May and I missed my friends I had not seen them in a long while, it's weird we see each other every day then you graduate or there is summer break or any other break and you don't see them you kinda form this really really tight group of friends and then bang it's all over. We stay in touch and talk to one another but none the less you miss them, when I used to have a bad day I could go and vent to them now I just get a phone call a two minute conversation, no hug no smile no visual aid...I need an I phone, it would help. In other news as I was saying I went south to see them well one of my friends and I really enjoy this guy who does these recipes with comics, I absolutely love his recipes and they are easy to follow and amusing I suggest you read all of his other works but I made his chili and I loved it, so here is a link to his 2 am chili which is amazing  http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33 so here I go.
This is what you will need:

for the seasoning:
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp red pepper - cayenne 
2 tsp cumin
4 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp basil
2 - 4 tbsp of brown sugar
for the rest of the chili
2 lbs beef - ground
3 - 4 cloves of garlic
1/2 green pepper
 at least 1 / 2 of an onion
2 cans of light red kidney beans
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 lg can of diced tomatoes
a shot or two of beer
Okay well if you read the comic you will know that this is not his EXACT recipe, it is slightly different, I did not use everything he did, I tweaked it, but guess what I don't think he will mind it's a great recipe. So this is what we do, we take the spice mix and shake it up and put it aside. Now this is what we do next, we brown that hamburger, or turkey if you wish and then we add it to a pot, now when it is done chop the garlic, onion, and pepper take your skillet and brown the garlic, onions, and green pepper well saute it! When done add it to the pot and drain and rinse the beans add them to the pot then add the tomato sauce and then either add the diced tomato's or put them in a food processor and add them to the pot up to you. I prefer to use the food processor but that is me, now add about a shot or so of beer and stir stir stir and then simmer. But then of course you have the rest of the beer so drink that and wait...wait...and wait. Remember the longer it sits and simmers the better it is. Once done add whatever you like to chili and enjoy, my friends down south really enjoyed it we made ours really spicy since we all like spicy it was great, I personally enjoy mine with some crackers and then have a peanut butter sandwich with it.  Just saying however you like your chili we are all different. Any way enjoy your chili I forgot to take photos so use your imagination or follow the other guys photo he's talented! 

Post a Comment