Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How to make oatmeal scotchies

While I have been recovering from my surgery I have not been able to do much, I was forced to wear a catheter for two weeks due to complications during my surgery, also due to complications I was in the hospital for 4 days, and had a month recovery instead of 3 days. So it’s been slow going but my husband and mother have been amazing in my time of need, as well as my brother and my friends.  So my husband and I have been watching warehouse 13 while I have been recovering and in the show they eat oatmeal scotchies. These sounded good to me. They sounded amazing, maybe because for the first time since my surgery I have been in the mood for something sweet and I have finally been able to bake, me not baking?! I know surprising. So let’s get started on what all we have to do.
What you will need:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats (will discuss later)
1 package of butterscotch chips

Start out by preheating the oven to 350.
Okay so we cream things, like always, take your butter, which is softened and add the sugars to it, beat it, you know how we always do. Meanwhile while doing that mix the dry ingredients except for the oatmeal in a bowl and set aside. Now add the eggs and vanilla to the other mixture and mix well, once done add the dry ingredients, mix again, then add the oatmeal…now let’s discuss oatmeal. I used instant oatmeal in the large tub (not in the little package) that is because I prefer the instant oatmeal texture over the old fashioned takes five minutes to cook in boiling water oatmeal. See they both cook up different and they are both acceptable in this recipe one will cook differently than the other so just telling you depending on the texture you want depends on what you use. Any way moving on you added your oatmeal now stir in the butterscotch chips and spoon onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 – 15 minutes. It took 15 minutes in my oven because it cooks slightly cold so just wanted to explain why fifteen minutes. The original recipe said 10 – 12 minutes so just keep that in mind.  Well I really loved this cookie which is amazing since I do not even like butterscotch! Enjoy! Tell me what blog post  you want next and I'll do it!











Post a Comment