Monday, February 6, 2012

How to Make Chocolate Caramel Filled Cookies


This week I have made a video blog for this blog, I would love you to know that yes I did babble a lot. I am sorry – next time it will be better – if I decide to do another video blog – I prefer the pictures but will do videos they only take about an hour to edit but I am leaving it up to you, my readers. So before you watch just keep in mind that I do talk to you a lot and there were some mistakes. Next time I will go from a script. I swear!
This is a really good cookie; I just wanted to state that. So from here I will explain how to make these cookies and give you the instructions without my video, which you can watch if you want. Not mandatory, so here we go.

Things you will need:
2 ½ cups Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans – half in the dough half for dipping
48 Rolo® Chewy Caramels in Milk Chocolate, unwrapped (from 13-oz. pkg.)
1 tablespoon sugar
4 oz. White chocolate for drizzle (only if you want to)

First pre heat to 375 and then in a medium sized bowl mix the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, just whisk it to combine. Then in a different bowl beat your sugar and butter or margarine, it will take about 2 minutes for it to be finished, it needs to be light and fluffy. Now I know that I used margarine but I would like to state you can use either for this recipe, however, if the recipe calls for butter you have to use it! To that you will add your vanilla and eggs and beat it well – about 30 seconds, there should be a light runny mixture. Now add the flour mixture and mix well – also about 30 seconds.  Then once that is finished mix BY HAND your pecans into the batter. Now you can refrigerate at this point for 30 minutes or you can just flour your hands and roll them out into balls, I did the floured hand method.
  Okay so now this is the fun part. Make a ball with about 1 tablespoon of dough and then insert a rolo into the middle, after that roll it into a ball again. At this point I would normally tell you to unwrap them and then insert the rolo however mine we already unwrapped which I will discuss later.
Now I know what you are thinking what’s the other sugar for, okay so I’ll explain that now, in a separate bowl or plate mix together a little more than 1 tbsp. of sugar and the other half cup of pecans and dip your ONE SIDE of the cookie in it. Then place nut side up on your pan. I used parchment paper to make for easier clean up, if not just use some cooking spray. Continue until you are out of dough or rolo’s, place in oven and bake 7 – 10 minutes mine took 15 minutes or so.
Now at this point the recipe states to allow to cool on the pan for two minutes then move to cooling rack and allow to cool for 15 whole minutes before eating. This step is important if you do not let it cool the center will fall out of the cookie, however, I have discovered that if you let it cool all the way on the pan the cookie stays prettier and rounder even. So the choice is yours perfect looking cookies or sad pathetic ones.
Okay also now after they have cooled you can drizzle melted white chocolate across the top, I will not be since no one likes white chocolate in my family.
 Okay now ingest your tasty creations, I love these cookies, I would eat them without the tasty caramel in the center too but they are good with it too. I will say my father, you know how he is, he hates anything not regular cookie wise, he loves these, so if that tells you anything.  Which that statement should, my father hates it when I make new cookies. Finally in a last additional comment about the recipe, if you are having a hard time finding rolo’s in a large bag which I did, well peter did, stop by a gas station and buy them in their own roll, which is easier since they are already unwrapped, you’ll need six rolls. There are 8 in a roll! So you should buy 7 for good measure since we all know someone has to taste test them to make sure they are edible, right? Well then enjoy your baking and let me know if I should continue the video blog!


Here is a video


Here is the final Product 

Post a Comment