Saturday, May 12, 2012

How to make cinnamon rolls with a bread machine

Cinnamon rolls, they are amazing!! My mother used to make them from scratch on Christmas morning when I was growing up. However, not recently, recently my grandmother has made Christmas breakfast so we’ve had no reason to make them. But I have decided on Saturday morning before mother’s day that I will make her cinnamon rolls and something else for breakfast.  I’m going to make it on Saturday because I will be busy on Sunday. But she will love it either way. As you know, I hate kneading dough and if I can use the dough machine I will use it. Well this recipe I found online thanks to what’s cooking America.  So there are several ways you can make them but I did the dough machine one so that’s what I’ll be teaching you!
Things you will need:
Time
A dough machine
1 cup milk (heated approximately 1 minute in microwave) 

1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

1/2 cup butter, room temperature 
2 eggs, room temperature and beaten 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 cups bread flour – I used all-purpose it works just as well
3 teaspoons instant active dry yeast



Cinnamon Filling 

1/2 cup butter, melted or softened
1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
4 to 5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 to 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Soften the butter; set aside. In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon; stir in chopped nuts (optional).



Butter Frosting 

2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup< powdered (confectioners) sugar

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, mix until creamy. Refrigerate frosting until ready to use and then bring to room temperature before spreading.
Okay so basically add all the ingredients except for the filling and frosting into the dough machine. Then set it to the dough setting on your machine. Once that is done, two hours later... or so, set it into a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes and cover it with plastic wrap.  Once that is done roll it out to a large square, about 15 x 24 inches. Then use the half cup of butter and spread it over the top of the dough. Then mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon, nuts if you want, I am not putting them in, I guess you could do raisins too, but since I do not like them I would never put them in there. Now sprinkle the mixture on top and press it down over the butter. Then roll the long end up like you’re rolling a jelly roll then crimp. Once you’re done get some thread or plain floss, yes one or the other is easier, of course you can always just cut them with a knife.  If you use the thread, slide the thread 1 1/2 inches into the roll and pull the string together to cut the bread. Yeah it’s the easiest to do or you can cut it with the knife if you want to be difficult. I won’t judge…much. Once that is done place the rolls into a 13 by 9 inch pan not touching. I had to use two. Because who knows maybe I have fatter ones. Then you can do one of three things. Freeze them, refrigerate them, or bake them. To bake them let them rise for 45 minutes to an hour in a warm place. If you freeze them they can stay frozen for a month. But before you cook them you let them rise at room temp for 12 hours. Then if you refrigerate them you leave them in the fridge for 12 – 72 hours and then pull them out and bake immediately, no need to let them rise and bake at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes.
Meanwhile make the frosting and once fully baked let sit for about 5 – 10 minutes then frost, serve, eat, and enjoy.
















Post a Comment