Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How to make delicious dark chocolate cake

Ahhh cake, how I love baking, how I love chocolate, let me count the ways…okay not really going to count the ways, you get the drift. I have had a terrible week, I feel like crap. So I decided I wanted to make this dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting. I love chocolate; I know you’re not surprised. If you are…well you obviously have not read my blog ever. I just wish test subject Akeem was here to devour some of this. But alas I shall have to serve it to test subject Emily and Steve. Now this recipe is so hard to come by that all you have to do is buy a jar of Hershey’s cocoa powder…yeah I know I’m being sarcastic. Any way if you just have regular cocoa powder you can make this too so you don’t need the one I used but I will tell you now I used the special dark kind and man is it rich. Yet this is so good too. Okay so here is what you will need:

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa (feel free to use regular cocoa powder)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

 For the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

2/3 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa (again can be regular cocoa powder)

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Start by preheating the oven to 350.  Okay so this is different from most cake recipes but simple. Mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, soda, salt, and baking powder. Yeah weird huh! Not used to mixing the sugar in with that huh. Now add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, mix well. After that is finished pour in the one cup of BOILING water. Now mix it till combined. I know the batter is really thin but it’ll be ok. Once that is finished pour in a pan that you have greased, now you can do any style of pan you want I am doing a 13 x 9 but the original recipe said two 9 inch round pans. Anyway, once you have done that put it in the oven and if you are doing the 13x 9 bake for about 35 – 45 minutes, that’s how long it took me. Now the time for the nine inch ones is .30 – 35 minutes. Anyway, moving along, bake cool and while it’s cooling make the frosting. Same as any other frosting, once completely cooled frost, serve, devour, and among everything else, enjoy it! Like me pin me, send me a message! I am always open for new ideas!!
            













Post a Comment