Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How to Re-purpose a Candle



You know what I hate? Candles that don't burn all the way down to the bottom. I also hate it when someone asks me when are you and Peter going to have children. We both love kids so it's a normal question, but I can't have kids.  Then when I say I can't have children everyone always says things like "well I had problems conceiving" really you have four kids, please tell me you know how I feel when I have no possible way to give birth unless I have a really expensive procedure where they implant an egg inside me that's fertilized.  It is not covered by insurance and it is not the most successful procedure, leaving me not wanting it, but yet people like to tell me they know how I feel? Really while you sit there with your four kids, yeah you so do. thanks... anyway that's been bothering me for a couple of days now.
Moving along, I have like 12 candles and none of them have a wick left. But all of them have wax left. Thus, thanks to pintrest, I have decided to do yet another pin. I decided to do this back in March but my grandpa took a turn for the worst and passed. So back in the beginning of March I had purchased some 9-inch candlewicks and a glass jar. When I got home I put them in a drawer with all of my “smell good” things since I didn’t have time at the moment to make the candle. Then this weekend I was looking for a new smell and I saw them. I thought I should do that now! So I grabbed a little pot put some water in it and boiled it and placed my candles that were in a glass jar into the pot waited for the wax to melt.  In the mean time I grabbed the empty jar I bought and my wick.  I placed the wick in the bottom of the jar and grabbed a little stick – you know those things you use for kabobs, we have wooden ones but really anything would work, and I wrapped the top of the wick around that so that the wick would not move. Well not move much I mean I’ll be pouring things.
 So my first candle in the water melted it and I poured it in the bottom and while it began to set up / cool down I moved the wick to make it straight. Then I melted the next candle. This is what I noticed some melted faster than others and some took longer to cool than others. After each addition of wax though you need to let EACH one cool in the new candle you are making, unless you don’t mind a weird color. So once I got down to the last candle, which by far had the most wax – I had used it on a candle warmer and now it was weird and I no longer had a candle warmer – I broke it. So it was like eighty percent full. I grabbed my “new” candle and put it in the fridge so it would cool down quicker. Glad I did too because this candle took about 2 minutes to melt, all the others took 5 and were pretty close to empty. So I pulled my candle out it was pretty much set and pored the last of the wax in. let it sit – cleaned my boiling water pan. Put the candle back in the fridge and got dinner with my folks. Got back had a really pretty candle.
It burns just fine too. All the fifteen minutes I’ve burned of it so far… anyway hope that gave you an idea of what to do with yours! I bought the wicks at a local craft store, almost everywhere has them, and any glass container will work. Good luck! Like me, tweet me, pin me, email me, I’d like to hear from you. Something you saw on Pintrest you want me to do? Let me know I’ll try it out and if it’s food it has to be something I’ll eat.

Only photo right now I have, but this is the final product




Post a Comment