Wednesday, October 17, 2012

How to make beef burgundy

Listen to me as you read the following words. Beef, Bacon, and Wine. That right there is a winning combo. You know I love French food right? Of course you do – I’ve made crepe’s and madeleines. So why not boeuf bourguignon – or beef burgundy for those of you who don’t know French – hey it’s cool, I got your back. Anyway this stew, if you will, is amazing.


Here is what you will need:

5 slices bacon, chopped

1 cup chopped yellow or white onions – I did two onions

3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices

1/4 cup finely chopped celery

4 – 5 potatoes

2 pounds beef chuck, cubed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 tbsp tomato paste

1 tbsp of garlic – chopped

2 cups burgundy, or dry red wine

1/2 – 1 cup beef stock



Okay so here is how this works. Take your bacon and a large, I mean large too, I used a stock pot, pot and chop that bacon heat that pot and then toss the bacon into the pot – let it brown – you know how to cook that bacon. Oh let the sweet amazing meat cook in that pot until it is amazing….mmmm bacon. Don’t drool people. Okay now remove the bacon – put it in a large bowl it’ll make more sense later - BUT leave that fat. Now place all your veggies in there. Potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and garlic, then cook those for about 5 minutes, yes in the fat. Now take those out and put them in a bowl with the bacon and turn up the heat on that pot. Take your meat and cut it – I did use flank steak but that’s cause I’m cheap and it was on sale - also if you let it sit for 20 minutes on the counter it'll be easier to brown. Salt and pepper each side of the beef and place it in the pan to sear / brown. Once that is done add the veggies and bacon back – see that we’re going to have bacon in a stew- you're welcome . Now add your beef stock I added 1 cup. Pour in some wine, I got my giant bottle for 3.49 yeah I am the bargain shopper when it comes to wine. Then add that tomato paste. You want enough liquid to cover everything so either add more stock or more wine - I added more wine. Let it come to a boil and then turn down the heat and allow it to just cook for the next hour and a half – of course you should stir every now and then. The last half hour take some water and flour – or cornstarch – and make it into a slurry thing and add it to the pot. Stir. Cook for another half hour and then serve with some bread. Now traditionally there are mushrooms in this – I hate mushrooms – maybe you’ve heard me say that before I really do though, oh how I hate them. On top of that normally there are pearl onions in it – I did not have any. Hey you use what you can – hence the extra onion. Also yes I know this is not Julia Child’s recipe but I read hers it’s way much more effort than I was going to put forth – she may have been a French cook but I am the what’s the easiest way to make this cook. No I don’t have any photos of me actually cooking this but how about some photo’s from Midfest – the cultural festival in Middletown Ohio that they have every year- this year was France hence the food this week! I will show you a generic photo of beef burgundy and describe mine. A rich dark brown red color, which has the smell of bacon and wine, with a slight beef aroma, the broth was velvet texture almost, smooth and creamy and yet surprisingly thick. Also this is great with crusty bread. So Peter and I both loved it and I could not eat much it was way too rich for me, but I loved dipping the bread in it. All in all a great dish for a cold night – takes a little to fill you up and it did not take me the five and a half hours Julia’s called for – it was also half of the steps and it tasted just like the beef burgundy My mom and Malia had at the festival. By the way they had fairy tale readings – which was awesome, sadly not too many French foods that day but some wines and one booth had authentic French food and they were amazing! I did get a mug with different places in France on it, had a cream pastry and generally enjoyed myself. Also one final apology - sorry Julia - I am not you I love your book but it just wont happen not now - not ever - she rock's and I am no Julia Child - I am just teaching the masses how to cook simple tasty food.



Some day I'll take awesome pictures like this is swear



This is about the color of mine.



Here are the photos!








Post a Comment