Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How to make Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

A rant will be issued for the first part of this blog - I am apparently not an adult (I would take young adult as a title as well). I am married, 24, have an apartment, pay my own bills, cook my own food, go to the Doctor on my own, sign all my own paper work, can rent things, I have had body parts removed from me, and now I am unable to have children, I have had 4 major surgeries, I have seen enough death in my lifetime, and I have graduated from college with a degree. At what point in life do I become this magical adult? Is it an age thing? Is it an experience thing? Have I not had enough experience for some people?! Well what's the age?! What do I have to do to be an adult? Quit telling jokes? Well I know plenty of adults that tell jokes, some people even get paid for it. Have a child? Well let me be the first to tell you some people who have kids are 16, does that make them adults? Am I missing some hidden thing here? -End rant.
Okay so here is what you may or may not know about me. I love pancakes. My father makes the best in the world. Seriously folks. The best. He even uses just the add water to the mix kind and yet they are my favorite. I have no clue why but even my Husband the man who wont eat pancakes will only eat my fathers. This being said as you may now I do not like to eat eggs, I don't like them. Therefore, for breakfast when my husband wants omelette's I make myself pancakes. But since they are never as good as my fathers buttermilk pancakes I always just add chocolate chips to them or something. Well this past Sunday morning what I really wanted was cinnamon rolls. Guess what I was not going to make, cinnamon rolls, why? Because that is way too much work. What can I say I am all about easy breakfast. So while I was making his nasty, I mean amazing, omelet I decided I want to make cinnamon roll pan cakes. I've had them before, they can't be that hard! They were not so here is what you need:
Pancake mix - pick whatever you want or make your own but my mix is easy
4 tbsp of melted butter
1/4 c plus 2 tbsp of brown sugar
1/2 tbsp of cinnamon
Okay so melt that butter mix the brown sugar and cinnamon into it pour it into a pastry bag or a Ziploc bag and let it cool...yes cool I don't want molten butter. We want this to just cool down and be thick - according to the website where I go this recipe it should be like toothpaste. So let it cool and in the mean time warm up your pan to make pancakes. A pancake pan should be hot but not too hot - about medium heat it should take about 50 seconds  to 1 1/2 minutes to cook on each side if it takes longer you're not doing it right. Also we only flip pancakes once. Anymore and they are stiff and flat. Do you want flat pancakes?! No you do not! Okay pour some batter into the pan let it start to bubble and then swirl in a tight circle some of that brown sugar cinnamon mixture - this is easier with a larger hole cut into the bottom edge of the bag. Now make a spiral - stay away from the edge of the pancake. Let the pancake finish bubbling and flip in one fluid motion - I should make a video on this...except I'd have to make one for left handed people and right handed people - trust me some of those lefties have no clue how to flip pancakes. Watch them - they do it backwards. Okay when finished cooking place it on a plate and then I just drizzle with powdered sugar glaze - trust me more than one or two would put you in a comma. - and I know how to indudlge in sweets better than you and two put me there!













I forgot to take a photo of the swirl - because well, it was at a very important part! This is my Awesomely Drawn Photo of Pancake Perfection





Here is a video !!





Pancake tips:




We only flip once – ever

If the first pancake messes up it’s cool – the first one rarely comes out right

If the top of the pancake becomes too “dry looking” before you’re ready to flip then the cooking surface is too cool

If the pancakes become too brown before the bubbles form it’s too hot

Do not over mix

Make sure ingredients are precise – it’s like making bread

You can use boxed pancake mix – whoever invented just add water made the best mix – I prefer it over adding flour, eggs, milk, and butter – it makes my life easier

Do not make huge pancakes – you don’t need them they don’t cook correctly about 1/3 or 1/2 cup of batter is plenty

Do you want fruit in your pancakes? Maybe nuts, chocolate chips, or anything else that is big like that, sprinkle it on top

Top your pancakes with whatever you want! Be creative

Made too many? Freeze and pop in toaster when you want to eat them – no they are not as good as fresh, but it makes for a good quick breakfast “roll up” put eggs, peanut butter, or even a breakfast meat in it and roll and ingest on your way out the door

Are you left handed and you’ve been told you can’t flip a pancake? It’s because you probably do flip it backwards – I’ve watched you, you know who you are – watch my video on pancake flipping – I’ll teach you I promise.

Did your pancakes make a mess – it’s cool – we’re not going to “flip out” on you

Making for a crowd? Place on a plate and put it in the oven on "warm" about 170 - 180 and they will stay warm and fluffy for the whole time you are making more pancakes.

Add fat or spray to your pan when cooking – my dad and grandmother use butter flavored Crisco – you can use oil or butter as well. I like the layer of Crisco my grandma uses, it makes the pancake edges crispy and funnel cake like and I love them

Make sure you’re pan is just right for your stove – mine is between number 5 – 7 yeah sometimes six, but normally not. Make sure it is a good heavy pan or a coated pan. I know where to put mine to make perfect pancakes. You can use an electric griddle if you like but I don't like them.
If you are not sure what to do follow these instructions:

Heat the pan on medium to medium high

When hot, sprinkle a few drops of water

Should “dance off”

Add fat or non-stick spray

Add pancake batter

Wait for bubbles to form – lot of bubbles with some breaking open

Flip, one time only

Eat!

Post a Comment