Thursday, October 4, 2012

How to make Pretzel Bark

Once again the pintrest bug has bit me. I have been looking at this recipe for weeks and I finally made it. Pretzel bark. It reminded me of these things my grandma used to make called "yummy crackers" I have no clue if that is their real name but that's what her recipe said. Anyway this is what you will need for the bark.
1 large cookie sheet with an edge
1/2 bag of pretzels
1 cup of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 bag of chocolate chips
Coarse ground sea salt (optional)

Okay preheat oven to 350. Line pan with parchment paper or foil. Place a single layer of pretzels down on the pan - note we made this and decided next time we're going to double up on the pretzels. Now in a medium sized pot melt butter and brown sugar together, bring it to a boil and when it starts to thicken take it off and pour it over the pretzels. No it does not have to cover each pretzel. Trust me! Next pop it in the oven bake for five minutes. Once that is done pull it out and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Put it back in the oven for exactly one minute pull it out and spread chocolate to smooth it over the top with a rubber scraper. Remeber chocolate keeps its form even when warm, so it is easy to burn. Now take some sea salt that is coarsely ground and sprinkle it on top of the chocolate. This is optional I normally do not but since I had sea salt I thought why not. Glad I did, it was amazing. Now put it in the fridge till it hardens. Break and store in freezer - best if eaten cold or else it gets all over you. Finally when I make this next time I am doubling up the pretzels and then I am going to melt candy melts and pour over the top that way I can use dark and white chocolate and I know it will harden when cooled and even if it sits out it'll be cooled. I did it this time for the blog with the double pretzels - I prefered that, but my milk chocolate bark would not melt for some reason it seized up on me so I did just chocolate. It was easy to melt in the double boiler and pour over top but it made a bigger mess. Moral of the story just pour chocoalte chips over the top!
How about cinnamon roll pancakes for next week? I think so too.







Post a Comment