Wednesday, November 7, 2012

How to make Beef Stroganoff

I had a hard time coming up with an idea this week. Thankfully my husband had a great idea. Beef Stroganoff. I am not a huge fan of it but I did have all of the ingredients so I figured well lets make it so you’ll like it! So I did some research and learned what I don’t like about it. Most people put in nutmeg – gross, and others make this mushroom paste – nasty. I do not like mushrooms and I really don’t like nutmeg. It’s true I hate using it but sometimes it is needed. Anyway this is how I made mine. What you will need:


Half a stick of butter ¼ a cup if you will

1 can – yes can I used a can of mushrooms feel free to use fresh but I am cheap

1 1/2 – 2 lbs of beef I used a chuck roast – got it on sale too!!

2 cups beef broth

1/2 c or less of red wine (that bottle I bought sure is getting low!)

1 large onion

1/4 cup of flour

4 tbsp of olive oil (or veggie oil which is what I used)

1/2 c of sour cream or plain yogurt (you wont use this till the end)

Okay melt the butter in a pan and add oil to it. Salt and pepper the beef and cube it. Put beef in the pan. Brown on each side and then remove it from the pan put it on a cutting board or in a bowl. Add flour to pan. It should make a paste. Then add the broth and wine and then whisk till smooth – you could add it slowly but we all know how I feel about slowly doing things. Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan stir. Then add the beef back to the pan and whatever juice came out while it sat there. Add some more salt and pepper to the pot and then let it simmer for a good while. Like twenty minutes on low heat, everything will get tender! In the meantime get a pot and fill it with water and bring it to a boil the last 7 minutes or so of this cooking process you will make egg noodles or whatever kind of noodles you want for stroganoff and once you start cooking your noodles add the sour cream – I had plain Greek yogurt because I had gotten it for free with a coupon so that’s what I decided to use. So how did it taste? Best I’ve ever had and I don’t like stroganoff – the husband said, “sour cream would have been better” I told him he was wrong but whatever. So that’s that. Easy enough no it’s not the traditional way to make it but I didn’t want to dirty four pans and all that other crap for something like this. Even better it had a similar flavor to normal without that nasty spice I don't like or too many mushrooms. Now what are you going to make for dinner? Any ideas you want to shoot me for a blog will be taken into consideration just remember I am cheap and it had best be easy.








Post a Comment