Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How to make Cherry Dump Cake

Things you may or may not know about. I pack my husbands lunch everyday. Well more like I pack a large meal or two. He works about 50 minutes away, and works a good 13 hours a day at least. So when I make meals I make enough for four so I can pack him lunch and a snack the next day. I also normally throw in some breakfast. No, I do not make it everyday. I make some sort of baked good slice and freeze them in individual pieces. About once every two weeks I make enough to stock the freezer for a couple of weeks at least (so he can have many different things) it is normally things like lemon poppy seed bread, muffins, or some sort of breakfast bar. This past week I made him a pineapple upside down cake for after dinner and I realized I had an extra white cake mix. I am not a white cake person, not enough chocolate in it. So I decided let’s see what I have in the cabinet to go with it. Oh check it out – canned fruit. So I had remembered someone had brought a dish called cherry dump cake or something to my grandmother after my grandfather had passed. So I googled to find a recipe, found one! The recipe I found was to do the following:


1 cake mix – white or yellow

1/2 cup butter – melted

2 cans of cherry pie filling

Now you will note in my picture I just have cherries. Well I made my own pie filling. Anyway, take your cake mix and butter and mix it together with a fork until it is crumbly (yes it’s a word) and then put half on the bottom of a 13x9 pan (although next time I think I’m going to use a 9x9) and then pour the cherry pie filling over top of that then crumble the rest of the topping on the pie mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. At this point once I removed the dish it was very thin – I suspect because it should be in a smaller pan. Anyway I let it cool and froze it then sent it to work with Peter. He said it was amazing – why wont I eat it? Well quite honestly I detest cooked fruit. The only pies you will ever see me eat are chocolate, caramel, pumpkin, and pecan (used to eat Banana but now I would die L). So there you go now you can serve this dish hot topped with cool whip or cold. Peter say’s it is more like dessert than breakfast but nonetheless he eats it. Any ideas for me?! Let me know! Click Here for a printable version.








Post a Comment