Thursday, November 29, 2012

How to make Pineapple Upside Down cake

Peter loves pineapple upside down cake. His Grandma makes him one all the time – of course in a Cast-iron skillet. Last year for Christmas she bought me a Cast Iron skillet – the message was clear – make him one. Well let’s just say I never really got around to it. First off he is so freaking picky. I literally had to buy the stupid cherries and sliced pineapple. He could not have anything other than the rings – see picky. My mom makes a good pineapple upside down cake but she does not use rings she uses crushed – that way there is pineapple in every bite – however, I decided you know what there is an advantage to using the ring. As you know I hate cooked fruit – so I decided if I use the rings I can pick it off easier. I love the flavor of this cake but not the fruit once it has been cooked – yes I know I am weird. Anyway I went and bought the following things to make his.




1 box of Pineapple supreme cake mix – you can use white if you prefer

Ingredients on back

1 can of sliced pineapples

1 jar of Maraschino cherries

1/2 c. of butter

1 c. Brown sugar



Okay grab your cast iron skillet place it on a burner on your stove and melt together the butter and the brown sugar. Pre heat oven in the meantime to 350, once butter is melted and sugar dissolved as best it can be turn off burner – if you have an electric stove please move it off the coil. If you have a gas you can leave it. Finally if you have a glass top stove you should not be using cast iron on it – therefore you can melt it in the oven while it is coming to the proper temperature. Okay moving along. Mix together the cake mix and oil and eggs in PLACE of the water use pineapple juice – get it from the can of pineapples. Mix it well and put it aside in the pan place pineapple rings and plop a cherry in the center of the rings – I did not use my whole can – my skillet was almost too small for this recipe so I did not have room for the whole can therefore you should use at least a ten inch skillet and use all the pineapple. Now before I put in the cake mix I had all my pineapples centered and looking pretty but the cake batter moved them – again oh well. So pour the prepared cake mix over the pineapple brown sugar stuff place it on a cookie sheet and pop it into the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until done. Once it is finished cooking pull it out of the oven and immediately turn it over onto a plate – or in my case since I don’t have a plate big enough a cookie sheet. Let cool and enjoy. Now of course Peter told me “that piece wont have any pineapple on it since you didn’t put enough rings in the pan” Darn guess that piece will have to be mine then! Yes it was amazing I really liked that pineapple supreme cake mix – happy Sandy I made him one so he’d quite complaining! Oh and he ate ever single piece other than the three I had – it did last a week! Feel free to use any other type of pan just follow cooking instructions on the back of the box and melt the butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan on the stove.

Click HERE to see a printable version.




Prob could have put anther one there I guess..






Post a Comment