Wednesday, December 19, 2012

How to make Lemon Icebox Cookies

Ever since I can remember my Grandmother (mom’s side) has always had Archway cookies in a little drawer where she keeps her snacks, she’s not much of a baker. But my other Grandmother has always had the best cookies ever – chocolate chip, sugar ones, molasses, you name it she had it in her freezer just give her ten minutes and you can have some. However, for some reason I always craved Grandma Gephart’s (mom’s side) store bought cookies. I guess it’s kind of like how I only like boxed macaroni and cheese. I know what you all are thinking. How could anyone prefer store bought over those other cookies – well I was spoiled and store bought were a treat, if you’d only had homemade the store bought is much better. Case in point – my Dad’s Mom – Twila (Grandma Thacker) does not like homemade white bread. She likes store bought much better. She is tired of the homemade – me on the other hand I prefer homemade it’s tasty! See what I mean? Anyway I had to make some lemon cookies. As you all know I am not a lemon person. Pretty sure I am not really a citrus person. I have made the shortbread lemon cookies before and just never really liked them. So I needed some that I could freeze and slice and bake so I could do it at a later date – it’s a little bit of a secret why I am doing all this baking but if you guessed it has something to do with Christmas you’d be correct. Anyway I found this recipe and tweaked it of course but I always at least attempt to taste my food – unless I am allergic – i.e.: Avocado’s and Banana’s anyway so I made these – Icebox Lemon Cookies. They are a roll up into a log freeze then slice and bake kind of cookie. Here is my recipe:


3/4 c of butter – or margarine, which is what I used

1/2 c light brown sugar

1/2 c, white sugar

1 egg

2 tbsp of honey

1 tbsp of grated lemon zest – or one whole lemon zested

1 tbsp of pure lemon extract

The juice of the lemon or 3 tbsp of lemon juice

2 cups flour (you may need up to a 1/4 cup extra flour)

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda



Okay so cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy, add egg, honey, zest, juice, and extract then beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients. Now I upped the lemon in this it needed it so I had to add some extra flour pretty sure it was 1/4 a cup I did two heaping scoops of my measuring cup. The dough will be sticky but that is fine. So put it on some plastic wrap form a log and freeze for up to a month. Now I had to slice mine right out of the freezer there was no need for me to let mine warm up – I think it’s because my freezer is not as cold as I would like it to be. But basically you slice not too thick and bake at 325 for 11 – 13 minutes. If you want you can sprinkle with powdered sugar. Now here is the deal. I pulled these out of the oven and thought what the heck I’ll taste them. They tasted like the lemon iced archway cookies I had always loved from my grandma. They were the lemon cookies I had grown up loving – lemon with sweet and citrus. Almost like my favorite lemon Girl Scout cookies they used to sell. So go make those cookies!
click here for a printable version.





This is what mine looked like no this is not my photo - I forgot to take them!



Post a Comment