Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How to make Overnight French Toast

There are times in my life where I want to make a new recipe. I’ll find it on pintrest or someone will give it to me and I’ll want to make it, or even maybe I’ll have a recipe in a cookbook or in an email that looks cool. Here is the thing with recipes sometimes they need tweaking. For example my orange chicken recipe, when I first made it the taste was too sweet for me. Since then I have tweaked it to give it a little kick. This happens more often than not. I have made most of my recipes on the blog several times before I show them to you, if I have not, like the chocolate sugar cookie recipe, they normally come out okay but I usually improve upon them each time I make them. I am sure that just because you do something the first time and it’s not amazing does not mean you quit. I know for a fact that this is true. I mean I sucked at tennis when I first started – I ended up pretty good. Didn’t mean I quit. But here is the thing – I don’t show you my failures. Today I will. Normally if I have made something for the first time and it did not come out right I’ll tell you all things like it was okay but this is what I would do next time, stuff like that, however, this time I will tell you the whole failure, why I think it went wrong and what I will do to improve upon it if I ever make it again.


First I got this recipe of Pintrest. You’ve probably seen it, the baked overnight French toast. Looks great. So I made it. It did not turn out the best for me. But here is the recipe.

1 stick of melted butter

1 c. brown sugar

1 loaf of Texas toast (I’ll explain this one in a minute)

4 eggs

1 1/2 c. Milk

1 tsp of Vanilla Extract

Cinnamon and Sugar

Okay now I went to the store and they did not have Texas toast, you may have a better chance at finding some places but since I did not I bought the thickets bread I could, this was my first mistake. I should have bought a whole loaf of day old bread from the bakery in the store. See here is the thing about French toast it cooks better if the bread is stale. Don’t believe me it’s okay I just know better. So I bought fresh bread that was not thick enough. Okay so here is how you make the rest. Melt butter and brown sugar together and spread on bottom of pan evenly. I think after you spread you should allow for it to cool. I did not. Then place a layer of bread down. Make sure it is evenly covered . Meanwhile mix together milk, eggs, and Vanilla. Pour half over the bread on the bottom. Next time I will measure I did not this time. Now sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar overtop. Layer some more bread the same way and pour the rest of the mixture over top. Sprinkle more cinnamon and sugar and then cover with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The next morning you pop it straight into an oven at 350 for 30 minutes covered with foil then 15 without foil. I forgot the foil. So combined with the lack of foil and the thinner bread the bottom of mine came out soggy. The flavor was great and the bottom where the sugar was tasted fantastic, but like I said soggy. So here is how I will fix that. Next time use thicker bread, I will remember the foil, and I will use stale bread. The point of this post is everyone makes mistakes, especially in cooking the trick is to learn from them. So what did I learn? No use in crying over some messed up bread, enjoy cereal, General Mills gets it right every time. Well I encourage you to try a new recipe and not worry if it does not taste great, no use in just eating the same old thing all the time!








Post a Comment