Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How to make Tater Tot Casserole

I am currently compiling a cookbook full of recipes that my family has had for years while also including a few of my own. But last week an old test subject – Brittany - sent me a text telling me that GFS was having a sale on ground beef. It was a ten-pound log of meat. Yes log. I knew I had to purchase this log but the problem being where the heck am I going to store that I have like no room in my little freezer! Okay so my freezer is not too little but I pack it full of things once every month and I do things like oh let’s make Peter muffins and freeze them. So my freezer typically gets full. But I figured let’s buy the log and then cut them into one pound disks and freeze. Except I decided this could go even further. I did a little under a pound I did 3/4 of a pound disks so I have extra meat and Peter won’t care. So I did this and got 10 pounds for 20 bucks great deal huh! Yeah I am still on the save a buck kit. But I told you this story to explain where I got this recipe. So while still at GFS I saw a humongous bag of tater tots – not kidding this thing was a good 3-gallon size bag of tater tots at least- and it was only 3.99 uh sold. It is huge it alone took up half of my freezer – and had I had an extra freezer I would have bought the 15 pound pork butt I saw. But I digress, I bought the tater tots – you would think with the random snacks I buy we would have children but hey who does not like tater tots? A commie that’s who, so don’t be a commie love the tot’s. So then I set out to locate a good recipe that used tots and ground beef. I found one. It had two names. White trash casserole and Tater tot casserole. There is a difference between the two. If you use Velveeta it’s white trash if you use cheddar it is not. Okay so I did use cheddar so I have no clue how the other tastes but this one I thought was okay – Peter loved it. I…well we’ll discuss that later.
Here is what you will need:
1 lb of ground beef or turkey (I did 3/4 of a pound J)
1 small onion – finely chopped
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. sour cream
1 “can” or cup of milk (I just re filled the can of soup)
Tater tots for the top
Salt
Pepper
2 c. cheddar cheese
Okay so brown the beef – salt and pepper it too. Then once brown add onions and sauté them till tender. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish that’s a 13x9 size or something similar could be deeper and smaller like mine. Then mix together the soup, sour cream, and milk (I did add a dash of soy sauce for some extra flavor) and mix that really well and pour it over top the meat mixture – make sure it’s even and then place the tots in a nice neat row over the top and then sprinkle cheese over top. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.  Make sure tot’s are fully cooked and enjoy. I feel like it could have had some corn in it or something. So why didn’t I like it? Too much dairy – I can’t have all that much and a fourth of a cup of this stuff started to hurt my stomach – now peter had like 4 servings and he took the rest for lunch. He really liked it, and I am glad because I would have been mad to waste all that food. So in the long run it’s an okay recipe just not for me- great flavor though! Make it for your kids or something! Click here for a printable recipe. So happy shopping next time hope you can find a good deal like I did – did I mention the muffin mix I got too? Makes 120 regular size muffins for 7 bucks and all I have to do to it is add my own flavors or fruit – blackberry has been pretty good.








Post a Comment