Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How to make Lemon Chess Pie


When I was at Eastern we used to eat at a place called Powell. Today I rather miss Powell, its been a while since I have eaten there. Not that the food was amazing, quite the opposite, it was not that great, I just kind of miss heading there with friends to grab a bite to eat. Okay well attempting to grab a bite to eat, there were day’s where the food was amazing; about once a month or so. Now there are days, like today where I really, really miss it. For example, today as I am writing this is Mardi Gras, fat Tuesday. Fat Tuesday at Powell meant the following: A pancake station, Jambalaya, crayfish (or whatever you call it), and King Cake. I love King Cake, and just buying it for me is stupid, so today, had I been on campus I’d be enjoying a whole lot of different traditional foods, with my friends. But I am stuck at home. Now normally I would tell you oh let’s make king cake. No I am not going to make king cake, nor beignets, I don’t have enough strength to make it. It is way too much effort, way too much. Anyway moving along my friends from college the ones who I used to eat at Powell, I miss them too, a lot. The other day I was reminiscing about being at school and I thought you know what they really liked my Lemon Chess pie. Pie sounds good! Then I thought back to the first time I ever had it, at Powell. Okay so maybe I liked Powell more than I let on.  Anyway, all that was for me to tell you how much I loved school. Also how much my friends loved my lemon chess pie and all of this was also because my friend told me she was upset with some lemon squares her mom had made. They were not good, so I gave her this recipe, then decided, you know what I need some pie too. So here is the best lemon chess pie I’ve ever made, you should make some too.
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or lemon
zest and juice of 3 lemons
So melt the butter, and beat in some sugar. Add eggs, beat until light and fluffy, I used a whisk, then add vanilla extract, or lemon whatever you want to use, and the juice and zest of three lemons.  Pour into a premade pie crust, since I hate making pie crust you know mine was store bought, then bake at 350 for an hour, the center should be set and wiggle like a pecan pie. Do not test with a knife, just trust it, let sit for at least a half hour and enjoy.  I have no test subjects here tonight but I know my old test subjects, Akeem, Joey, Mike the Holy, and TJ loved it, I wish they were here tonight to eat it. Or heck I just wish we were heading to powell tonight to eat so I could give TJ all the plates from the table and go, God four plates you fatty. Ah college, a time that I miss very much...thanks for all the good times guys! Cook, eat, and enjoy! 







Post a Comment