Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How to make cabbage rolls

I would like to start out by saying I am still looking for guest authors for the blog, all you have to do is cook something, take photos (they don't have to be good), write down all the steps, tricks, tips, and what you would do next time if you did not like the way it turned out. Email, or text me if you have my number for more questions, you could also send me a note on facebook or comment in the comment section.

So that being said here is a small fact that most of you may or may not know. My family is German, no I don’t mean we have German in my blood, I mean my great grandfather came over on the boat, as did his wife, making my grandmother first generation American. Her husband was pretty much 80% German too, so when I say we are German I mean like really German. That being said we ate a lot of German meals around the house. Lot’s of potato pancakes, sausages, sauerkraut, cabbage, and cabbage rolls. I do not like any of the before mentioned foods. Well, kind of. I kind of like sauerkraut, I kin of like cabbage rolls, and potato pancakes are ok. Sausages I don’t mean like breakfast sausage I mean good old-fashioned bratwurst. I do not like at all. Not one bit. I hate them; just writing about it I have a giant frown on my face. Now that being said Peter loves all of those food items. Therefore, he will ask for them from time to time and I will make them and eat something else. However, the other day he asked for cabbage rolls. Made just like my mother, not the lazy way though. Do you know how much time it takes to do it…. like forever. Okay not that bad. But you have to steam the cabbage, cut a rib off and roll each one up. That is just more effort than I wanted to put forth, however, since he was having a bad day at work I thought fine. I will do this.

So this is what you need:

1 lb of Hamburger

1 lb of Sausage or ground pork (there is a flavor difference)

1 can or bottle of tomato juice, which ever is cheaper

1 head of cabbage

1 c. Rice (cooked or uncooked does not matter)

8 oz of sour cream (1 c)

1 small onion

1 tsp of salt

1 tsp of pepper

Get a giant bowl and boil some water in your teakettle or in a pot on the stove, I don’t care, no judgment here! Cut the end of your cabbage off and cut into the center off the end to get rid of the connection with the leaves. This is where it grew out. Plop it in your bowl, and then pour the boiling water over top the cabbage. Let it sit. In the mean time take the meat, rice, onion, and seasonings then mix them all together. If you use cooked rice the meal will cook faster. Now once it is all mixed pull off a leaf of cabbage, cut the rib off and roll a small amount of meat product into the leaf then place it on the bottom of the pan, seam side down, so they will stay wrapped, and continue doing this until you have wrapped all the rolls with cabbage, you may have to change your water a few more times. Now, if you run out of big enough leaves of cabbage do not fear, just shred some up and roll your meat then put the cabbage on top of it. This is also the easy way: shred the cabbage make meatballs out of the meat mixture and layer it meatballs then cabbage. Once all this is done pour your whole bottle of tomato juice over top, add a lid and let cook on low for at least 2 hours or so on top of the stove, please stir every now and again, you can make this ahead and toss it in the Crockpot AFTER it is fully cooked. Now about 45 minutes before you eat these take some of the juice off and mix it with the sour cream to get a thin pink sauce, pour it over top of the cabbage rolls and stir. Let cook for another 45 minutes, and then serve with some buttered bread on the side. So how do these taste? Well like meatballs. They are okay, not my favorite food, however, test subject Mom, Peter, and Malia (the youngest niece) loved them.













Post a Comment