Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How to make French Toast


I love French things. This is true, oh so true. Been studying French things for years. Je parle fran├žais. (I speak French) But alas French Toast is not French. Although it is nice with French bread, especially day old French bread, it is not French. I also love French toast even if it is not French – that is where I was going with that. Now that being said, you may recall my mishap with overnight French toast – I am still peeved at that. Anyway, I was complaining to my Grandmother in law – what else would I call Pete’s grandmother? Found out she loves French Toast! See I knew she was awesome. So she gave me a new tip for French toast. For not only good French toast but also the BEST French toast I will ever eat. I never question Sandy when it comes to two things, Recipes and Catholic things. She tells me her secret, which I will now pass on to you. As I said in the over night French toast recipe it is all in the bread – if it is not good just forget it. So here is her addition to my already awesome recipe.
6 pieces of Cinnamon Swirl bread – you can buy any variation of this, like blueberry swirl –which we did, or the maple swirl, brown sugar swirl, you get the idea this is here Idea the swirl bread – and she’s right. It is good.
2 eggs
1 c Whole milk (I guess you can use 2 % or whatever you have in the house. Fine.)
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of Vanilla – yes this is awesome in it
1/2 tsp of powdered sugar
Mix eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a large bowl, beat this until the cinnamon starts to break down, it wont mix thoroughly that is ok. Then get a griddle or whatever you want to cook on hot. About medium high heat, then add some butter to grease the thing – this is not optional. Now here comes the fun part. The bread – I let mine sit out the night before, you didn’t have to, I just did, and it makes it stale, which I think makes a better French toast. Now dip each piece covering each side in the egg mixture and put it on the griddle or pan and cook until golden brown on each side. Top with some syrup and try not to eat the plate. This has literally been the best French toast I have ever made – I even liked the blueberry bread one. Test subject group Trinity plus Justin did try this. Justin, Derek, and Sara lee all loved the bread and the potatoes and bacon we had with it – this is what happens when you stay the night with us. I make you breakfast – just know you are spoiled, because Peter does not always get breakfast. He also did not on this day because it was a Sunday and he went into work at 5 am. There are many variations you can do with this style of bread. It is already pretty “dry” if you ask me so leaving it out overnight is optional it will be tasty either way. This makes me wonder though, I wonder how this would be with Banana nut bread – or any one of those quick breads – maybe someday I’ll make it! Well ideas and comments are always appreciated! Check back in soon! Message me to do a guest blog!




Post a Comment