Thursday, May 2, 2013

How To Make Tomato Soup - from scratch


Fear not I did not forget you! Okay maybe I did, but just for a moment! I swear those other people meant nothing! Okay I got busy…One a friend had a baby, two I have been having phantom ovary pains, Peter and I are calling it fauvary pains (faux and ovary get it!) anyway so since that happened Monday I don’t really remember Monday…so since I normally post on Wednesday I thought today was Wednesday not Thursday…see the issue! Gosh! I know! Anyway this is a very interesting recipe. It was something I made for my Grandma and Grandpa – apparently colonel sanders used to make soup. Tomato soup at that, so this is his tomato soup recipe (although I don’t know why he made soup when his chicken was just fine). Anyway here is the recipe in case you do not have a can of Campbell’s soup lying around.

1 qt of tomato juice (please remember the gallon man)
1 small onion grated – yes grated
2 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of flour
1 tsp of salt
¼ tsp of pepper – white if you have it
1 tbsp of sugar
1 qt of milk

So take your tomato juice and grated onion and boil them together for 10 minutes – now strain. Okay I did not strain I figured who is going to care. Guess what not Grandma – so I did not strain but if you want it silky smooth strain. Then melt butter and add flour and make a little fake roux with it. Once it is cooked add it to the tomato juice and bring to a simmer. Cook until it gets thick – like 5 minutes or so. Once that is done add sugar, salt, and pepper. Now here comes the fun part. The milk. You may have heard me talk about tempering an egg. Test subject Tiffanie knows what tempering an egg is, why because she listens this is why she is the favorite  Basically this is where you had some hot to the cold mixture to gradually bring up the temp. I did this with the milk to prevent it from curdling. Then once my milk was warmer I SLOWLY added the milk beating the whole time. Then I cooked this mixture WITHOUT boiling – don’t boil!!! So I cooked this until it was warm and ready to eat. Then I served with a side of my special grilled cheese. Apparently I make the best Grilled Cheese. I would have to like Grilled Cheese to tell you about it. So how did it taste – Grandpa had two bowls and ate all the leftovers the next day. So I am going to go with success! Let me know if you want to write a guest post! 











Post a Comment