Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How to Make Walking Taco's

You all know I am a planner. I have lists for lists. This blog is my creative outlet, as you may know. That being said last night I was sitting there watching my husband play minecraft and it dawned on me…it’s Tuesday, you have nothing prepped for the blog this week. You forgot to do a video and photos on the rainbow frosting what are you going to do!? So I grabbed the tablet – which is what I take all the photos with (Peter bought a tablet when I asked for a digital camera) and I was like please please please let there be some photos on a blog I did not do. There was. One left. The Mexican dish my Aunt makes. If you were surprised that my Aunt made something then you would be correct. My Aunt is not the cook in her family, my uncle is. Now she does cook, just not a whole lot! Now what she calls them and what I call them are two different things, I also make it different than she does so this is my take, and they are Walking Taco’s if you ask me. Walking taco's are a staple at our local fair they usually have meat over Frito's in the pouch the Frito's are put in. So this is my take on Walking Taco's for the home, and on a plate.

What you will need:
1 lb ground beef
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 bottle of creamy French dressing (or Catalina)
1 package of SPICY or Regular Taco seasoning (no mild, trust me)
1 small onion
2 cans of chili beans (I use hot if I’m using regular taco seasoning)
Toppings – sour cream, salsa, avocados, cheese, onions, taco sauce, lettuce, whatever you want really
Dippers: Frito's or corn chip, although people have been known to do Doritos's and other flavored corn chips.


Okay brown the beef – if you will notice I am using the electric skillet – I never use that thing except on this recipe and on Peter’s potato dish. Yup. Okay meanwhile chop the onion when the ground beef is all brown and ready to go add the onion and sauté until fully cooked. Add taco seasoning, a full bottle of the salad dressing (I add a little water to get it all out), tomato sauce, and the beans, stir well, turn the heat down, then add a lid and let it just cook for a half hour or so. You want the flavors to meld and just mix together. This would be a good thing to cook and then add to the Crockpot for later. So then this is how I serve mine. Grab Frito’s or tortilla chips top with the meat mixture, add some onions, lettuce, sour cream, tiny bit of cheese, and some taco sauce, then I stir it all up and eat it. Other people make their meat on the side with the topping and dip their stuff in it. Whatever you want to do is okay with me. I love this dish! It can be sweet if you use the Catalina dressing, and if you don’t add some heat, I made it three times before I got it to where I liked it so this is my take, with the heat that I like. Feel free to play with it anyway you want. As always I am looking for guest bloggers, and ideas, let me know! 

Also I forgot to take a photo when I was done..so you get what Google Images provided






Post a Comment