Tuesday, September 3, 2013

How to make Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Okay let me tell you something, I love ice cream; I do not eat it often, as I am lactose intolerant. However, my great grandmother has passed down a recipe and the only person thus far to make it in our family. Now she has taught me and we make ice cream on most family holidays.  Now I will tell you this is my FAVORITE ice cream ever. Now be surprised, it is vanilla. I will wait while you pick your jaw up off the floor. My grandmother has always told stories about how her mother used to make sherbet or ice cream in different flavors like peach. We always make plain vanilla, and when I was younger, I always wanted chocolate but now, I would give anything for this recipe.  That being said I will now share with you this recipe:
What you will need:
3 c. white sugar
4 eggs – they will be raw, sorry, but I will not argue the chances of salmonella AGAIN or five if small
1/4 c. of flour (yup)
2 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla – kind of I’ll explain later
1 qt and 1 c. of heavy whipping cream (the one cup is not included in the original recipe)
1 gallon of WHOLE milk
Ice cream maker – the insides we keep in the freezer until we need it, that’s all my grandmother ever keeps in the freezer, and cookies…yeah be jealous
1 20 lb bag of ice
Big thing of salt (ice cream salt or rock salt like a huge box)
Take sugar, eggs, and flour and mix it in a mixer until it is totally mixed and when you feel the mixture it is no longer grainy – we mixed our on 3 in her kitchen aid for 5 to 8 minutes. Now, once that is mixed, lower the speed to the lowest setting, and then add cream.  Now add the vanilla my grandmother throws in 1/4 c. of vanilla, the original recipe say’s add until you smell vanilla, we are thinking next time of taking a vanilla bean and having it sit in the gallon for a day or so. I mean we use a lot of vanilla.  Now start adding milk until there is a lot in the mixing bowl. Grab your inside part of the ice cream maker and pour your mixture in, now top with the rest of the milk until you are about an inch or so from the top and stop.  Now go and place the insides in the rest of the unit. Now add some ice, and salt, lot of it. Don’t be shy.  Now we use White Mountain and it is probably 90 years old but my father says it is the best. So we have tons of turners, their job is to turn this handle. Or churn it if you will. So they do this until it is “stiff” you’ll be able to feel it. In addition; there is a hole in the side of the bucket when the water slush starts to come out, you are probably done.  Now while you are turning please add ice and salt as needed to keep it above the bucket. Once it is hard, you are ready to eat. Serve it with whatever you want. I had plain old vanilla. With three bowls, and some medicine. Totally worth it. Everyone loved it and I mean EVERYONE. Ah yum! Tune in next week for smoked ribs! Also you could halve this recipe and use a smaller ice cream maker, that churns on its own, but it wont be as yummy because we made the boys.  Mmm Vanilla Ice Cream!

She does not follow this well























'All New' like 50 years ago






See slush coming out











mmmm






Post a Comment