Wednesday, October 9, 2013

How to make Beer Battered Onion Rings

There are things in this world that I love, like French Fries. Then there are the things that I love but forget to order with my meal like onion rings. However, you know who never forgets? My mother. She is the lover of onion rings and not French fries. When I was younger man I hated onion rings, no clue why since I liked onions. Since I have gotten older I have learned to love onion rings more and more. Therefore when we decided to have chilidogs for dinner and I had no potatoes to make French fries it came to me (also I was sans wallet since it was in the husbands car). Robert Irvine always yells at restaurant owners for buying premade onion rings when they are so cheap to make, and for good reason.  Therefore, as I was wondering what to serve as a side it hit me, no not literally, figuratively, seriously people. I thought oh man beer battered onion rings. Why the heck not! So to the Internet! I looked up several recipes and bam found one and tweaked it. Here is my recipe

2 cups of flour (1 1/2 and 1/2 c. separated)
2 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 – 1 tsp of seasoned salt
1 tsp of pepper
1 bottle of beer – I had to use cider I really wanted the Belhaven beer but I was all out
2 onions

Grab 1 1/2 c of flour and the rest of the dry ingredients and mix, then pour in the beer and whisk it all together until thoroughly incorporated let this sit for at least 10 minutes. In another bowl put the rest of the flour – you’re going to toss your onions in this. Then grab your onions slice however thick you want it. I did mine about 1/4 inch thick. Now while doing all this, please preheat some oil in a heavy skillet to fry these, about 375 degrees please, or use a deep fryer, whatever you have. Now once your oil is ready grab some onions toss in the flour then dip in the batter and shake off excess, fry and flip once. When they are fully cooked place them on a paper plate, salt if desired, and then serve with ketchup, or with this spicy blooming onion sauce. 
Dipping sauce:
1/2 c. of mayo
1 tbsp of ketchup
2 tbsp of horseradish sauce – creamy
1/3 tsp of paprika
1/4 tsp of salt
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of pepper
1/3 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp of sugar
Taste and see if tastes close to you – Peter made mine and kept tweaking it until it tasted right. But that’s the original recipe.
So how were the onions? Amazing, because I made them! 















Post a Comment