Sunday, August 10, 2014

Rocky Road Cookies


Once upon a time, isn't that how all stories start? Well I am obviously going to be telling you a story. For as long as I can remember, I used to go with the rest of my family to Tennessee. My grandparent had a cabin, therefore we went a lot, and I am not kidding when I say a lot either. What a four day weekend let's go to the cabin! Summer break? Let's spend three weeks there! I am not complaining, a lot of great memories happened there. The cabin was an A frame it was beautiful, and I learned a lot there. For example, there are only 3 TV stations so when you come down with the summer flu just sleep. I learned that my Grandpa is the WORST person to hunt Easter eggs with; he hides them again while you're not looking, that my Grandma will not let you win in card games, you have to beat her fair and square. I think my favorite thing I learned there was how to be happy on your own rights, and entertain yourself not expect others to do it. I really enjoyed all my time there. However, I miss it, they sold their cabin and I don't go down nearly as often, although I still have an Aunt and two cousins who live there so I could go down. However, when you're in your twenties it's hard to find time to do all these things. Anyway, I told you that to explain why I made these cookies. When we would be on our way to or leaving Tennessee we would stop and get ice cream. I always got rocky road. I thought it was funny, we were on our way to rocky top so I want rocky road. Therefore, whenever I eat that ice cream I get a wave of nostalgia. Sends me right back there instantly. That being said I was thinking the other day, you know what sounds great? Rocky Road ice cream…however, I don't eat ice cream that often, so it would be dumb to buy some. While contemplating ice cream I thought oh my I could make these in cookie form! I have everything I could possibly need! That being said let me give you this recipe.
What you will need:
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter – room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp of baking soda
2 eggs
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 cup of mini marshmallow bites (like the kind you get with hot cocoa)
1 cup of almonds (traditionally, however, I used pecans) chopped
1 cup of chocolate chips (mini please)

 

Let's get down to business:
Start by pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (meaning beat them together). Then add your eggs and mix until the eggs are incorporated. Slowly add in the dry, once that is all mixed in add the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and nuts. Mix very well and then drop out some small scoops of batter onto a greased cookie sheet. Then cook for 8 – 10 minutes, they will be gooey in the center, PERFECT. Pull them out, you don't want to over cook them, and then let sit on the pan for 2 minutes, then transfer it to a cooling rack to finish cooling down.

 

What you really want to know:
Yes these are just like Rocky Road ice cream, but with cookies instead. I handed these out and asked if anyone wanted any. Test subject Joe said, "I could get behind that" ate one and decided this was more important than continuing to play his video game, on-line, he died hard. He was so pleased with these cookies he did not care. Even the husband (who does not like nuts in his sweets) loved them. I loved them. What are you waiting for go make these!!



















Post a Comment