Friday, January 9, 2015

How to make Broccoli Cheese Soup

New year and a new shot at actually writing a blog on a regular basis! I have a lot of new recipes and ideas I  want to try out this year and I hope you all follow along on this journey. Let me first start out by giving you an update, the BMS (battered men’s shelter) is doing well, we had our Christmas, everyone loved their gifts, I got an awesome Batman Adam West print on canvas and a ton of kitchenaid appliances and cookware from people, as well as a ton of other amazing kitchen gadgets, like a deep fryer, some cupcake cast iron pans, even a food processor.

Now that my update is done I am going to show you the most amazing broccoli cheese soup. Ever. That is the end of this discussion, it is amazing and I have never had a more amazing soup than this one.

What you will need:

4 TBSP Butter, or Margarine
One Onion
1/4 C. Flour
1 Pint of Half and Half - or Whatever Dairy Product you want I did heavy whipping cream
12 OZ of Evaporated Milk - one can
12 Oz of Chicken Stock - one can
12 Oz of Vegetable Stock - one can
12 Oz of Frozen Broccoli - one bag next time I may use two
1 C. Julienned Carrots - shredded
8 Oz of Velveeta
8 Oz of Cheddar or Casserole cheese ( I like a mixture of Cheddar and other Cheeses)
Salt and Pepper - to taste
1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
Pinch of Cumin - optional but gave a wonderful depth of flavor

Ok don’t get nervous with this list of supplies! Grab a large soup pot  put over medium low heat and melt butter. Chop up your onion and saute it in the butter until soft, add the flour and cook until all the butter is soaked up, add in the two stocks you don’t have to use vegetable stock and chicken stock I just wanted them both in there for better flavor and I also used dry bouillon and base for mine. Once you add it to the flour whisk away until no clumps remain, if you add a little stock at first and whisk that will prevent clumps from forming. Once all the stock is incorporated allow this to cook together for about 10 minutes, this should allow for the soup to thicken. Next add in dairy products and mix well add spices at this time, allow to cook together for another, you guessed it, 10 minutes.  Following this step add the carrots (if you don’t want to julienne these just buy carrot matchsticks at the store) and broccoli, allow this to cook for 20 - 30 minutes.  While this is cooking grab your cheese and cube it, you need to shred the cheddar if you didn’t buy it shredded because it needs to melt correctly. Once everything is cooked add the cheese until it’s melted, taste and see if it needs anything, nope? Great! Now here is the fun part and TOTALLY  optional part. Grab an immersion blender and blend it a little bit until smoother, this will help break up the large chunks of broccoli. You could also put it in a blender, or just leave it as is. Either way this is totally delicious and amazing.  
The BMS test subjects have demanded that we now make this a monthly meal option because they liked it so much and who am I to deny these men! Plus this soup was quite amazing and I can't wait to nosh on this again. We enjoyed our soup with sandwiches and there was only about one cup of soup left, soooooooooooooo good.

Here is what I learned while trying to find a recipe, most were either 100 % cheddar or 100% velveeta, no in between, and I just like the way velveeta gives a smooth texture and I like the way cheddar tastes, so I decided make my own recipe. Which is the whole point of my blog pretty much right? Here’s a recipe now you tweak it for yourself, play with it, let me know what you like. Looking forward to ideas and input! Happy cooking!




Making my stocks





Yes that is a Tardis salt shaker


It's all timey - whimey 


This is my favorite base - 'cause I'm all about that base



Cube it!





Whisk it!












Will it blend?


Yes it will!


*drool*



Eat me!!!


~Fin~

Post a Comment