Monday, February 9, 2015

How to make Au Gratin Potatoes

About a month ago I made a potato dish that required the slicing of potatoes with a device called a mandolin. No this is not a musical instrument, well it is but it is also a kitchen utensil with a very sharp blade. This device should NEVER be used without a guard. That being said I could not find my guard for mine and I decided to use it without one and to go slow with the cutting of the potatoes as to not cut my finger. Well guess what the potato slipped and I cut about 1/4 of an inch of skin off my finger, yes it bled, for hours. I bled through several layers of paper towels and bandages. After this I threw away my mandolin and decided never again. I did not bleed on the potatoes though, and my dish was great! That being said though I decided I wanted to make the husband au gratin potatoes since he says he does not like them, but he has only ever had boxed ones. However, the dish I had made the first time was something else so I needed a way to slice potatoes easily without hurting myself again, and since I had thrown away my mandolin I was slightly put out, then my husband reminded me hey you can use that lovely food processor Tiffany gave you it has a slicing attachment. I could have shot myself I felt so dumb, I forgot I had that option! Therefore, this is the story of how to make au gratin potatoes.

What you will need:
6 medium potatoes – I used Yukon gold
1 medium onion
1 tbsp garlic
3 tbs of butter
3 tbs of flour
2 c milk
8 oz of cheese
1/2 tsp of pepper
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika


Pre-heat oven to 350 and then slice those potatoes and onions paper thin, I used my food processor this time if you use a mandolin PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE USE SAFETY PROCEDURES .  Grab your butter and melt it in the pan and put the garlic with that, cook for about 1 - 2 minutes, then add the flour, slowly add in the milk and bring to a simmer, then add in the cheese, mix until melted and add pepper and salt. Now grab a 13 x 9 inch pan, the recipe I found said use a 2 qt pan, this is a lie. Now add the potatoes to the pan and pour the mixture over the top of the potatoes, stir a little bit, and then put into the oven and cook for 30 – 45 minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked and this is golden brown and bubbly go ahead and serve it. This was okay, I would put more cheese in it next time! Oh and the husband liked it. 












Yes this is my salt shaker























Post a Comment